Tuesday, February 12, 2008

dmch darbhanga

DARBHANGA MEDICAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL IS ONE OF THE OLDEST MEDICAL COLLEGES OF BIHAR AND ALSO A REPUTED ONE . this college was established in the year 1946 and is situated in laheriasarai in darbhanga . this college is affiliated from lalit narayan mithila university darbhanga. it has all the modern facilities to serve patients . it has 24 hour emergency service wich ICU . many patients visit its opd per day . this hospital was established to serve the people of MITHILIA and is completing its mission .

The medical servies due to this hospital became very advanced for MITIHILA.
this college provides many medical programmes and is serving the nation from more than 62 years . it has an intake capacity of 100 M.B.B.S student per year , which are taken through the state competitive exam : BIHAR COMBINED ENTRANCE COMPITITIVE EXAM as well as 15% seats are filled through cbse exam (CENTRAL BOARD OF SECONDRY EXAMINATION NEW DELHI).
It conducts many other pogrammes such as para medical exams per year for lab , nursing etc .
2.Operational Therapist Assistant Diploma
Duration: 2 year Eligibility: Intermediate Science of equivalent exam from a recognised Board/University
3. Diploma In X-Ray Technician
Duration: 1 year Eligibility: Intermediate Science or equivalent
4. Certificate Course in General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM)
Eligibility: 10+2 Science

IGIMS patna

IGIMS was established on 19th November 1983, as an autonomous organisation on the pattern of All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. The objective was to provide super specialty medical facilities in Bihar.

On 27th January 1983 Cabinet approved the completion of this massive project in 4 phases within a span of six (6) years. According to the decision of State Government, 130.20 Acres of land was transferred to IGIMS. It was proposed that the hospital will be completed by 1990 with a capacity to house 1000 beds. The estimated cost was 110 Crore rupees which was later revised to 133 crores .

Because of financial stringency only 4669.30 Lakh could be made available by the State Government.


IGIMS was setup with the following objectives :

To establish an apex centre for delivery of health and medical care of highest standard
To train specialists of high order in different branches of medical services
To improve the health service in the State through appropriate linkage and referral system with Medical Colleges and District and Sub divisional hospitals.
To develop the continued education programme and award degrees and certificates and Post Graduate degrees.
To develop clinical research centre for conducting investigation on the problems of human health and diseases peculiar to and prevent in this part of the country.
To develop Community Health Research Centre to study and find out solutions to the problems of health of the community with particular emphasis on reproductive biology and population control.
To develop research and training in basic sciences relevant to the problems and needs of the Community.
Statistics of All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), Delhi and Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS), Chandigarh show the a large number of patients from Bihar State suffering from Heart Diseases, Neurological problems, Cancer , Renal Dialysis, Ophthalmic problems etc go to AIIMS/PGIMS. Getting treatment at AIIMS/PGIMS puts heavy economical burden on them apart from the difficulty of traveling to a distant location and puts excessive loads on those institutions.

Looking into the problem, State Government, in consultation with experts from various parts of country, decided to setup an institute of AIIMS standard so that the patients from Bihar, Sikkim, Nepal, Bhutan etc may get best medicare at the lowest possible expense. To achieve these objectives the institute was established and named after the Former Prime Minister of India, Smt. Indira Gandhi.

Current Status

The following block of building has been completed :

OPD Block
Ward Block (500 bedded)

Work for the following block is under progress :

Polyclinic Block (three floors completed)
Diagnostic Block (two floors completed)

The following block are under Construction :

Auditorium Hall
Conference Hall
Work for the following block has been held up due to lack of funds:

Service Block
Research Block
Library Hall

Following Clinical Departments are functional at IGIMS :

1. Gastroentrology 2. Nephrology
3. Neuro Surgery 4. Neurology
5. Internal Medicine 6. Paediatric Surgery
7. Cardiology 8. Reproductive Biology
9. Endocrionology 10. Anaesthiology
11. Community Medicine 12. Pulmonology
13. Gastro Intenstile Surgery 14. Nuclear Medicine
15. Urology 16. General Surgery

Two Regional Institutes are functional :

1. RIO ( Regional Institute of Opthalmology) 2. RCC (Regional Cancer Centre)

Sunday, February 10, 2008

stanley medical college chennai

Stanley Medical College and Hospitals is one of the oldest centers in India in the field of medical education. The seed for this institution was sown as early as 1740 when the East India Company first created the medical department. The Stanley Hospital now stands on the old site of the Monegar choultry established in 1782. In 1809 the Assistant John Native Infirmary was established with Monegar Choultry and leper asylum.

In 1830, a well known philanthropist Raja Sir Ramasamy Mudaliar endowed a hospital and dispensary in the Native Infirmary. In 1836, Madras University established M.B. & G.M. and L.M & S Medical Courses in the Native Infirmary. In 1903, a hospital assistant course was introduced with the help of the East India Company. In 1911, the first graduating class was awarded their Licensed Medical Practitioner (LMP) diplomas.

In 1933, Five Year D.M. & S (Diploma in Medicine & Surgery) course was inaugurated by Sir George Fredrick Stanley. The school was named for him by the Governor of Madras Presidency on July 2, 1928. In 1941, three medical and surgical units were created. This was expanded to seven medical and surgical units in 1964. In 1932, 100 students studied, and then from 1963, 150 students were admitted each year. In 1964, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the President of India, laid the foundation stone for College Auditorium to mark Silver Jubilee Celebration.

The College is associated with the Government Stanley Hospital which has 1580 beds for in-patient treatment[2]. The hospital has an out-patient attendance of around 5000 patients per day[3]. A unique feature is its 8-story surgical complex equipped to perform up to 40 surgeries simultaneously, and a separate pediatrics block with all specialities under one roof.

The three well known departments of the Stanley Medical Hospitals are Surgical Gastroenterology, Urology and the Institute of Hand Rehabilitation and Plastic Surgery. The Institute for Research and Rehabilitation of Hand and the Department of Plastic Surgery (IRRH & DPS) is one of the best centers in Southeast Asia. The Department of Surgical Gastroenterology was the first in India to perform a successful liver transplant, under the leadership of Dr. R.P. Shanmugam, Surgical Gastroenterologist and the first among Hospitals/ Hospital Departments in India to obtain the ISO 9001 certification. The Department of Urology performs up to fifty kidney transplant per year .
Admissions to Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) and post-graduate (MD, MS, other diplomas and higher specialties) are through state (85% seats) and national (15%) entrance examinations. Reservations of seats and reduced tuition are available to underserved communities. Admissions are open only to Indian citizens, and are highly competitive. Admissions to the MBBS program (about 150 seats per year) are based on a weighted aggregate of the entrance exam and high-school final exam scores. About 1 in 40 applicants are accepted to the MBBS program statewide (about 1500 seats in 15 medical colleges), and only the top-rankers among those accepted to the MBBS program statewide are admitted to Stanley Medical College bringing the effective admission rate to less than 1 in 200. Several seats in post-graduate programs are reserved for physicians in Government service.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

bangalore medical college

Bangalore Medical College, located on Shri Krishnarajendra Road near the City Market in Bangalore, is run by the government of Karnataka. It is the only government medical college in Bangalore and one of six in Karnataka. (The others are in Mysore, Hubli-Dharwad, and Bellary along with two new government colleges starting from this new academic year Raichur and Mandya.) Admission to the college is extremely competitive through national and state level entrance tests. It has been consistently ranked among the top ten medical colleges in India. It was ranked number 8 in 2006.

It was established in 1955 by Dr. Shivram and Dr. Mekhri in what was then the fort police station ground. The college was subsequently handed over to the government for management. From its inception, the college has been associated with some of the most eminent doctors in India. It celebrated its golden jubilee in 2005-2006 with major renovation and the inaugration of a state of the art digital library and conference hall.

The teaching hospitals attached to the institution are the general hospitals Vicatoria Hospita, Bowring & Lady Curzon Hospital, Vanivilas Women & Children Hospital & Minto Hospital. Apart from this, it is involved in community health facilities like the Urban family welfare center on Siddaiah road and primary health centers in Pavgada, Sundekoppa, K. G. Halli and Hessarghatta. The teaching hospitals attached to Bangalore Medical College have more than 3000 beds. Apart from undergraduate courses, postgraduate courses are available in most specialities. A state-of-the-art burns department caters to all of Karnataka.

Government of Karnataka, Department of Technical and Medical Education conducts Common Entrance Test for admission to first year M.B.S/B.D.S/B.Tech/B.Arch. courses in various universities in Karnataka. Equal weightage is given to marks secured in qualifying exam and the Common Entrance Test.

All candidates desirous of joining professional courses must compulsorily appear for Common Entrance Test conducted by the Government of Karnataka both for "Free seats" and "Payment seats".

Sunday, February 3, 2008



The Christian Medical College, Ludhiana Society (Regd.) is a Christian Educational and Research Institution established, maintained and administered by Christian Churches and Christian agencies in India.

In 1953 the college started the MBBS program affiliated with Panjab University, Chandigarh admitting men and women students. Since July 1999 the college has been affiliated with Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot. The Post-graduate program started in the Sixties. The college offers Post-graduate Diploma, Degree, Super specialty and Doctoral courses.


Christian Medical College Ludhiana Society, on behalf of the Church, seeks to contribute to the health needs of India by training primarily Christian Medical, Dental, Nursing and other health professional students and by providing holistic health services to the community and the nation, with people of the Christian faith serving in Christ’s name alongside with those of other faiths, who identify with these aims and goals.

In fulfilment of this objective the Society has established the Institution (Christian Medical College, Christian Dental College, College of Nursing, College of Physiotherapy, Hospitals and other units) as a Christian Institution in name, content and character.

In furtherance of the above affirmations, the Christian Medical College, Christian Dental College, College of Nursing, Hospitals and other units are administered as an educational and research Institution of an all India character, run, managed and administered by Christian men and women as health professionals, to the highest standards and in the spirit of Jesus Christ, for the healing ministry of the Church in India.

Staff of all faiths shall live and serve together in the Institution in an atmosphere of mutual respect, trust and love.

In this atmosphere of mutual trust and understanding, all the staff shall together strive to create a climate of excellence that is marked by a sense of God’s presence and action in their corporate ministry in the Institution.

KMC kolkata

The first attempt for the introduction of a proper medical training was undertaken by Lord William Bentinck. As a fruit of his effort and long persuasion, government order was passed to set up a medical college in Calcutta which is known as Calcutta Medical College. As the resolution was passed on 28th January, 1835, this day is observed as the Foundation Day of the College. What we see at the premises of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, did not exist during the early period of its inception. An old house at the rear of the Hindu College was converted for use as the New Medical College.

Arial view of the premises in 1934
This was used till the premises of the Petty Court Jail, the site of which included a part of the present building housing the Physiology and other departments and a part of the field to he north of Administrative Block, was ready for use. The first batch of the students numbered 50 and they received stipend from Rs. 7 to 12 per month. The period of the study was for four years on completion of which, they were to appear at the final examination conducted under supervision of the committee of the Council of Education. The successful students after passing the final examination received certificates of qualification to practise Medicine and Surgery, and would receive pay as Native Doctors starting with Rs. 30 per month, for being employed under government. With this, the books and apparatus of the abolished Native Institution was made over.

H.H. Goodeve - first Surgeon Professor A group of illustrious band of teachers started conducting classes. The Head of the Institution was designated as Superintendent and then as Principal. Till today, this practice is being followed. There came a professor in Medicine and Anatomy and another professor in Chemistry and Materia Medica. Two skeletons were purchased through M/S Bathgate & Company at a cost of Rs. 1500. The anatomical preparations were imported from Engaland. MJ Bramley was the first principal of the college and HH Goodeve was the first Surgeon professor.

It was Surgeon Goodeve who tried to convince the superstitious citizen of the need of dissection for cause of treatment. It was on 10th January, 1836, Pandit Madhusudhan Gupta, Babus Uma Charan Sett, Dwarakanath Gupt, Raj Kristo Dey and Nabin Chunder Mitter secretly followed Dr. Goodeve toan outhouse of the college building and with the hands of Madhusudhan Gupta started dissection of a dead human body. This great day was recorded in the Annals of Western medicine in India when Indians rose superior to all prejudice and superstition and boldly flung open the gates of modern scientific medicine to their fellow countrymen.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

CMC vellore

The Archives Department has been established in 1991 with the above motto. With a view to achieve the above, Archives is involved in wide range of activities such as identification of records, photographs and other materials of long term value, collect them, preserve them and make them available for official use and for research workers. Archives library houses an extensive collection of files, photographs, correspondence, minutes, other official records and information on the founder, faculty and students of Christian Medical College and Hospital.

The Archives is the proper repository of all official records and manuscript materials of the college and hospital. Printed materials produced by various departments and offices also find their place in the Archives. These include annual reports, important scientific papers, report of special studies, history of various departments, minutes of council meetings, administrative committees, executive committees, senatus etc.

The archives also preserve personal papers and records of distinguished people connected with this institution and had a significant role in the history of this institution. Special attention has been given to the papers, photographs and other materials related to the founder Dr. Ida Sophia Scudder.

MMC madras

The Madras Medical College, Madras, India, established in 1835, is one of the oldest Medical Colleges in the Indian Subcontinent.
This Homepage was created by me, Bala Chidambaram with the intention of bringing all MMCites closer, improve communication among friends and re-establish long-lost contacts. I have devoted hundreds of hours of my work and money to establish this site and maintain it. It is my hope that all MMCites feel themselves part of this great community of physicians, who have excelled in every field of medicine, and in practically every part of the world

Please remember to leave your comments on the Guest book. The Bulletin Board may be used to post messages to MMCites in general, to arrange class reunions, exchange season's greetings etc. Please visit this site often and send in your ideas and any contributions to the homepage. MMC Pride will shine around the world.

Neurological Society of India
A great site for IMGs
Thyroid Clinic by M Chandrasekaran
Vascular Society of India
Clinical Pharmacology Department
Global Health 2000 - Free service for Doctors and Students
Help for Overseas Doctors


Modern medicine was introduced to India by the Europeans. With the foundation of the Grant Medical College in Bombay in 1845 the 'native citizens' of the presidency were given an opportunity to study western medicine from some outstanding teachers. The college soon gained a world-wide reputation and its founder-principal, Dr Charles Morehead, was invited to help the University of London in formulating its programme for medical education.

Towards the end of the century the old order represented by Sir Robert Grant, Dr Charles Morehead and Sir Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy was replaced by officers of the Indian Medical Service (IMS) who, far from encouraging the best talent of the college, maintained their hold on the prestigious professorial posts. After much hesitation, a few non-clinical professorial posts were opened to non-IMS Indians and Dr Y. G. Nadgir was the first to be appointed to a chair (Anatomy). The fact that an IMS ' officer would be professor ofmateria medica one year and teach obstetrics and gynaecology the next underlined the unwillingness of the authorities to give opportunities to capable Indians.

Nationalist Indians strove to correct this imbalance. Among them was Dr K. N. Bahadurji, the first Indian to obtain the coveted M.D. degree of the University of London. When he was denied the post of Professor of Medicine at the Grant Medical College (an IMS officer holding only the Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians diploma (LRCP) being appointed instead) he advocated the establishment of a new medical college, staffed by Indians, that would break the monopoly of the IMS. He placed the idea before Sir Pherozshah Mehta - the lion of Bombay - and other members of the Bombay Municipal Corporation. Dr Bahadurji died on 15 August 1898 before his plans could materialize.

GENESIS AND FOUNDATION In 1907, under the Police Charges Act, the work of medical relief within the city of Bombay was entrusted to the Municipal Corporation. In 1909, an ad hoc committee of the corporation decided that 'the time had come for the Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College in 1925 Photo by Keshav M. Godhia to be associated with the proposed hospital. At the instance of Sir Pherozshah Mehta, the donors also insisted \ that the professors and teachers to be employed should I all be properly qualified independent Indian gentlemen I not in government service. The Municipality approached the Bombay Medical Union for a detailed scheme for the organization of the medical college and hospital. Dr. Jivraj Mehta, just returned from London after obtaining an M.D.degree, was approached by the union. He suggested a radical departure from the traditional design of teaching hospitals in India where isolated blocks housed separate departments. Dr. Mehta proposed that the entire medical college be housed in one large building and the hospital (including the out-patient block) in a separate building. This would facilitate co-ordination between the various departments. The two buildings were to be interconnected by covered corridors so that patients, students and staff could easily go from one building to another during heavy monsoon rains. (The Seth G.S.Medical College and K.E.M. Hospital were the first multistoreyed institutions of their kind. The K.E.M. Hospital was the first Indian hospital housing the out-patient department within the main hospital building).

The plans were submitted to W.A.Pite who had designed the Kings College Hospital in London and was then a leading authority on hospital construction. The local architect was G.Wittet. In those days it was thought that if an architect happened to be an Englishman, he was not only a fit person to draw up plans for a hospital but also to select its equipment. Wittet drew up a long list of equipment to be imported from England, including even ordinary beds for the wards, lockers and mobile screens.

The equipment committee (consisting of Dr Rustom Cooper, Dr P.T.Patel and Col.Hamilton) insisted on obtaining most items from Bombay. Wittet strongly expressed his resentment but was disregarded. When the hospital and the college were formally inaugurated on 22 January 1926, Wittet was presented a gold cigarette cas 5* by the Governor of Bombay, Sir Leslie Orme Wilson, in appreciation of his services. In the very first week, however, a large piece of the plastered ceiling of the operation theatre came down and within the first fortnight, the tiled floor cracked! The total cost of construction of the hospital was Rs.2,527,699 and that of the college Rs 1,364,574.

In making the first appointments to the staff, the Municipal Corporation was largely guided by Dr G. V. Deshmukha very active member of the corporation and also a big noise in the profession (Cooper). Dr Jivraj Mehta was elected Dean of the college and hospital. The first batch of teachers included Dr.M.D.D.Gilder, Dr P.C.Bharucha, Dr A.S.Erulkar, Dr P. T. Patel, Dr G. V. Deshmukh, Dr.R.N.Cooper, Dr V.L.Parmar, Dr.N.A. Purandare, DrV.R.Khanolkar and DrB.B.Yodh,who, according to Dr Jivraj Mehta, were individuals of the highest capability and deepest integrity. There was a great bond of striving towards a common aim - ensuring a brilliant success for these institutions. Remember, these were the first medical institutions in the country staffed by Indians at the professorial and other levels and there was a great sense of pride in all of us.